Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Homework 6 typography



Homework week 6 was to take a background image and add some text to set the tone and theme of the graphic. It was a lesson in typography. For this homework, I had some beautiful flower and rose photos that I wanted to include some poetry for. I chose this gorgeous red-and-yellow rose photo from my backyard, and attempted to hunt for an interesting rose-themed poem to accentuate the rose. There are plenty of rose-themed poems, but a lot of them are fairly long, and I needed a short, quick poem to fit into the graphic. Calling Emily Dickinson!

A big problem I had with this photo is how close-up, and centered, this photo is. There is really not much room on the left, or the right, to include the text on that green, background leaves. If the rose was off-centered, I could have placed the text on the side, and changed the color of the text so it would contrast on the green, and bring out the lettering. Unfortunately, I had to find a coloring that would contrast the green leaves in the background, and the red and yellow in the rose. Best I could find was this light blue. And yes, I moved the text to all four corners of the graphic, and tried to adjust the size of the text. I wanted the text big enough so that you could read the poem, and see the beauty of the rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment